PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR paramedic recruitment advice 2018
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2019, 16:39
snakepit

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Yes and the current TC were (mainly) trained in the military with hours to burn for all that preparation for the nasty jobs.

Just how much live training, especially in difficult conditions, will the cadets get before they are let out by themselves? Just how much non-revenue flying will be dedicated to their progression?

I'm not saying the right candidate won't be capable, just that seeing it for real the first time could be a real eye-opener.
I still don’t get your point Crab? As hot LZ has pointed out the winchman on the job you picked as an example of a tough Deck was not an ex military trained TC. Maybe your friend should try being a glass half full guy instead of half empty, ;-)?

I am sure the Bristow guys and girls know the rules and regs they have to work within and will fund training accordingly and to a level that they consider sufficient and safe. It is a continuing reality that UK SAR TC was and still is completely without national regulation. As long as that situation continues any SAR operator that holds the contract can train what they want, how they want, so it’s the regulator that holds the cards for which direction SAR TC training will ultimately take IMHO. Either the CAA want oversight or they don’t? In the mean time the general public, though they don’t know it, will have to simply rely on Bristow to set and maintain a high standard because nothing forces them by law to train to a measured standard. However, that situation is no different to how the MOD did things. They kept a high standard through experience and pride not because it was regulated. It is difficult to imagine any contractor that holds this contract now or in the future not wanting to run a safe and efficient operation; not only is it good business sense but it’s reported almost daily the pride and professionalism that still exists in SAR in the UK. I agree it would be much better if we didn’t have to rely on good will and pride....

It will be interesting to see how the Cadetship turns out but one thing is sure, the MOD was and still is broke. Much they did in SAR was groundbreaking and to be celebrated, but much was not and it’s easy to remember the excessive shifts and long working hours with rose tinted glasses blaming everything on “factors beyond their control”. Lack of manning is down to lack of resource and that was and is influenced and controlled by management at all levels of the MOD. The bottomless pit you are so fond of did not exist. I agree there was a seemingly bottomless pit of military ‘can do’ but sometimes that’s one of the factors that leads to being taken advantage of for years if not decades. In my time the pay back for good will was the military covenant, very sadly now, and for many years, that’s simply been a running joke.

And..... back to sleep