PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Reg; A Flag of Convenience?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2019, 13:55
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonzarno
@ Mike Flynn

I can do so by three examples relating to my own aircraft which is on the N register and is registered under one of these trusts. As has been pointed out elsewhere, it is a requirement under US law that the aircraft be registered to a US entity and that is the only reason for this structure.

1. Shortly after my aircraft was ferry flown from the US to England, I received a letter to my home postal address from the Canadian Aviation Authority wanting payment of en route navigation charges.

2. A few months ago, I was involved in an airprox in Germany when a microlight pilot flew across the track of an ILS on which I was being vectored. Within a week, I had received an email to my personal email address from the German equivalent of the AAIB asking for my account of what happened and for copies of my relevant documents.

3. Depending on the routes in Europe that I fly, I occasionally receive invoices to my home address for navigation charges.

In all of these cases, the only possible source of this information is from my N number.

I hope this helps!

I guess the answer is that pilots or the real owners can not hide behind the N trust address when it comes to air traffic services.

However their identity is hidden from public view.

I bought a PA32 in Ohio in 1989, flew it to Australia and later sold it on. It then went to the NZ register before crossing the Pacific again to end up in Arkansas.I can still track the ownership to this day.

Delaware Trusts prevent that.

They all appear to be registered in Wilmington which is by no stretch of the imagination a large city.

This from a site there.

All aircraft and yachts, under our administration are registered to individual owner trustee corporations. This is important because the Trust agreement which the beneficial owner of the aircraft or yacht will have to sign will include indemnities in the event that the trustee is sued. Where an individual or a Trust company which registers itself directly as the owner of the aircraft or yacht is sued then they will claim against you under its indemnity. Where the Trustee is a separate trustee corporation for your use only, then you get the added protection of being able to rely on its limited liability for your protection."

Lots of corporations (with international presences) are registered in Delaware. Lots of opportunity for corporate ownership.
In the case of the ill fated Malibu all we know is on google.

I guess ,as Murgatroyd demonstrated at Barton ,the criminal element will always ignore legislation.