PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA research into Age limitations final report released
Old 25th Mar 2019, 09:52
jumbomax11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMongo

That is true in the US as well for those born after 1960.

Assessing and managing the risk associated with the physical aspects of an aging pilot is good and continues to improve. The problem, in my view, is assessing cognitive decline. I come to the opinion that after a certain age a pilot should not be allowed to train in a new aircraft. What’s that age? 61, 62, 63, that I am not sure but it has become clear to me as a check and training airman that at a certain age the mental capacity of a pilot to successfully train in a new aircraft is diminished. Before all you old geezers start flaming me (I’m 57 BTW), I admit this is an annectodal observation.
Very true what you wrote about the cognitive decline, as I have experienced by myself!
I did a new typerating at 60 and for me it was really tough. A year later I experienced "burnout Symptoms" with sleep problems and after some
very tough sim sessions I decided to retire at age 62!
And, btw, a half year after retired I experienced a cancer in my throat ( as no smoker!) which I hardly survived!
So for all of you, take care and retire as early as you can, there is life after retirement which I enjoy a lot now!