PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA / BOAC Training 1960's - 1970's
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2019, 07:12
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Subjects

The only definite one was liberal studies but ex university cadets warned us to be careful as we might be watched wrt our political views which was apparently normal practice. Supposedly there were recruiters for the MI5 at all universities at that time. One of the first films we were shown was a German anti war film dubbed in English (all quiet on the western front). Worth watching imho.
I think that we probably just went into greater depth including the historical development for example the WW2 nav aids although some of them were still covered by the official secrets act which we had to sign.
As a side line, one of my mates had quit jet provosts after losing two on his course..said that the level of technical instruction was far inferior in the RAF.
We also had one from the Fleet Air Arm who commented about the huge number of fatal accidents from graduates of previous courses. (Many from car and motorcycle accidents - I had to pay a higher insurance rate in the 70s because of being a pilot. Apparently the underwriters consider pilots a bad risk..Just ordered an aprilia rsv4 1100rr 169bhp ;-) )