PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can your employer require you to work on your DDO?
Old 25th Mar 2019, 05:37
Killaroo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me please if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the 'O' Day concept was that it is to give the Company the flexibility to roster a kind of 'conditional Day Off/Rest Day'. A facility which allows them to legally circumvent the EO requirement to respect Rest Days, avoid the CAP371 regs on DDO's, and to produce a roster with sufficient notified rest days at the beginning of a month.

This distinction is crucial IMHO, because it clearly implies that airline Managements (or their Legal Depts) do accept Rostered DDO / Rest Days are unchangeable under both CAD and EO regs. Otherwise who needs O Days?

This also implies the two terms (DDO/Rest Day) are protected.

In order to get around it they had to invent a new rostering concept - the O Day - which I presume they argue is actually a Duty Day which can be changed to a Rest Day at short notice, and if it complies with the conditions to qualify as such, it becomes a recognised Rest Day.
Or is it a half arsed 'OFF' day, which is not protected by the DDO terms in the CAD regs, and can therefore become a Duty Day?

It's just a shell game of legal semantics. But these terms need to be clarified in the interests of safety.

Last edited by Killaroo; 25th Mar 2019 at 05:51.