PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massive cruise ship evacuation off Norway March 2019
Old 24th Mar 2019, 12:40
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by atakacs
What was the cause of the injuries ?

I fully understand that this is a region with very demanding weather conditions and that this ship had probably no business to be there given the conditions.

I also understand that ordering a thousand of SAR helicopters rotations in those conditions involves a lot a risk, despite the amazing quality of the people manning those aircrafts. Despite not knowing what I am speaking of I would be interested to know how the assessment was made. In any case happy to see a positive outcome.
I’d expect the injuries to result from the conditions on board, with loose articles moving around with enough force to break limbs, etc.

~900 pax at 15 per load (S92 or Sea King) would be about 60 loads, certainly nothing like a thousand. About 45-60 minutes per sortie when winching and offloading ashore, so three helicopters would need about 15-20 hours flying each including refuels, crew changes, etc. Maybe you could dial down the concern and accept that such decisions are made by professionals who have a fair degree of competence