PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can wings snap off if empty?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:45
ProPax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FCeng84

Thanks for the kind words.

As load factor increases, ailerons and outboard spoilers trailing edge up (dumps some outboard lift) and at the same time inboard spoilers down (if, up - preserves inboard lift). The challenge is what this does to longitudinal center of lift and pitching moment on a swept wing airplane and how to manage to preserve acceptable maneuver response from the pilot's point of view.
Thank you for your replies. Interestingly, you answered the question I MEANT to ask but couldn't form. If you need to use wing mechanisms to reduce wing load, what do you use to actually steer the aircraft? It must be one heck of a task for a computer AND the computer programmer to implement an algorhythm (no idea how to spell that) that will both preserve the wing from over bending and at the same time will make sure the plane flies where the pilot commanded.

Another thought suddenly got caught in my neuron nets. I remember reading that on Airbus A310 they removed the outboard ailerons because, after flying A300, they realized those were "unnecessary". I wonder if they simply added them as, let's call them, "wing load controlling devices".

Last edited by ProPax; 24th Mar 2019 at 10:46. Reason: Typo