PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BB solves JT 610 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:43
Australopithecus

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss
Excellent information mate.

Point 1, there is still a Vol.2, systems description it’s just been rolled into the one manual.

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to your points 2 and 3. I’ll take your word for it🙂.

Point 4, I would have thought so and I hope that goes in Boeing’s favour.

Point 5, how long would you wait to determine continuously?

Point 6, same as 2 and 3.

Point 7, even though your Runaway Stabilizer event didn’t meet the condition statement, did you complete the Memory Items? Boeing admits that it is not possible to develop checklists for all conceivable situations.

Points 8 and 9, I don’t have access to that information. I will say though that I like the ‘less is more’ philosophy in the Vol.2😉. It allows us to just concentrate more on flying and being Pilots not Engineers.

Point 10, I agree. Certainly a challenging event, but very doable with good discipline, standards and training. Remove the automation, set more blue than brown on the PFD, with the appropriate thrust then trim. If the trim is running against the grain do something about it, maintain aircraft control then analyse the situation.

Again, thank you for the info and making me hit the book (not books) 😉
Howdy Mr. Cartwright!

Regarding point four...Not going to go in Boeing's favour, I'm afraid. Hence the grounding, several investigations and several regulators demanding full disclosure of the entire flight test results and every change from the NG that we fly.

On point 5, I don't know. Would you even detect the first few seconds if normal speed trim activity had desensitised you somewhat? And the word continuously means “unbroken”. The word continually (I was reminded today) is a more accurate depiction of MCAS, and indeed other trim failure modes.

The larger point is that in the current tech writing practice much value is placed on economy of words.
My first pilot manual, Stairway to Heaven claimed that sometimes words have two meanings.
We all know that flexibility is the key to air power, and that ambiguity is the key to flexibility, but perhaps not so much when it comes to procedures.

Point 7...It was a long time ago, but it occured slowly in the mid flight levels on climb while I was hand flying. Not an electrical runaway, but rather a brake failure coupled with wear in the jackscrew. The stab trim would run about 1 1/2 turns in opposition to slight pitch control inputs, even after hitting the cutouts. While we found that fascinating we did in fact complete the NNC recalls (recall them?) and did a 360° and got the hell outta there. Maybe it was a 540? Anyway...Not all runaways are dramatic sounding or feeling. At least initially.

​​​​​​​