PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thunderstorm Avoidance
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2003, 13:38
slamer

Sperm Bank .
A nice rule of thumb for lateral dist V Alt to aviod CB,s , however
in my opnion something of a luxury, Good theory, but not that practical,Can you honestly say you avoid all CB,s by as much as 40 nm ( I will assume you dont go much over 40000')
I know some operators have a min 10nm lat dist from ANY CB. I also know very few if any of their people actually do this (unless on a work to rule of course)
The operator I work for has no set policy/SOP on this, and to the best of my knowledge has never had a problem with upsets, either running into or passing close to CB,s while enroute. Naturally the terminal area can be a little more restricive on arrival/Departure and cause problems at times

Hobo,
Yeh figured someone would say that, My point is ,
One can nearly always find a safe path through a line of Wx with intelligent use of the radar system, (granted this may be a problem if your stuck low) It is very unusual to get a solid line of
red/magenta spanning 200nm +, when above 30000'

A few years ago we had an a/c req an en-route fuel diversion as a result of lat diversion in the order of hundreds of miles, From my experiance this is completley unnecessary if you know what your doing and plan ahead

But never say never eh!

anyway,nuff on this thread for me, over and out.