PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 03:29
fotoguzzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Not a pilot) THY1951 had a faulty radio altimeter antenna that gave a valid but incorrect value. That single input caused the autothrottle logic to throttle down the engines. Were there any subsequent changes in logic, or did Boeing just reiterate that crew should monitor airspeed?

Now, one duff sensor apparently affects all manner of instruments and systems, and it sounds as if Boeing hope that an indicator light and a conflict warning will be the fix, and an existing trim procedure will work in this new case if the worst happens.

I imagine similar examples exist for weight-on-wheels sensors, the reverse-thrust system, and many more that I cannot conceive.

If I am being fair in the above, will the aviation world allow Boeing to continue this apparent philosophy of simple inputs, simple logic, and an aeroplane arguably simple to fly in manual mode when some part of the above fails? Will they be forced to make a more "foolproof" 'plane?

Last edited by fotoguzzi; 23rd Mar 2019 at 04:05. Reason: comma