PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Community service flights new rules
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 09:41
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No I am not talking about positioning flights which can of course be done by NVFR with a new flight plan or even a flight note. This is the scenario I mean which I will use NSW as an example as that is the most populated state but it applies to any state and typical of a CSF.
Pilot lives and has his aircraft at Hay, passenger lives in Narranderra needs to go to Sydney for treatment. Trip there is in daylight( 6am departure arrive Bankstown say 8.15am). Passenger all day at say Westmead Hospital as an out patient. Arrives back at Bankstown at 5 pm for return trip. Pilot knows he can't get to Narranderra before last light. What does he do? Overnight in Sydney,or maybe Goulburn or Submit a new flight plan as a private NVFR to circumvent the new rules which defeats the whole purpose of CASA's new rules anyway.
If this pilot does the right thing and overnights then quite possibly declares to his wife, mates etc never again! "Costs me a fortune not only for the aircraft but accommodation ,meals,days work, etc" and is lost as a volunteer from that day on.
Of course he may not have ever taken on the trip in the first place knowing he would be stuck overnight.
All because CASA would not allow that last hour of flight after last light.
That is why I said in previous posts it will get harder to find volunteers especially outside daylight saving months.