PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S grounds ALL 737 Max
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 07:20
FCeng84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gove N.T.
One reads/hears the mantra “Safety is our no. 1 concern”. from airlines and aircraft manufacturers so it is with some head scratching as to why why the AoA disagree light is just an option.
I treat this mantra with a touch of disbelief.

I read that Boeing say they will now provide these items free of charge. Shameful they weren’t included as a basic safety feature Boeing say is their number 1 concern. I think my cynicism on that mantra used by anyone is justified.
It would be interesting to know the history of these options. I would imagine that this story looks something like one of the two following flavors;

1. Did Boeing originally offered these options with some customers choosing them and others declining?

2. Or did Boeing design the 737MAX flight deck without them only to have some customers request them to which Boeing agreed provided those to customers who were willing to pay enough to cover the development costs?

In all the talk about airlines having to pay extra for these AOA displays and AOA disagree message I have not heard how much they cost. Without understanding the full history (which I don't) it seems unfair after seeing these displays only on some 737MAXs to jump to the conclusion that Boeing was using them as a way to get more out of customers willing to pay for them.