PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot spectacle lenses ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 04:48
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by triadic
Yes, John Colvan was the expert back in the 70’s and 80's. He made "anti glare spectacles that doubled as safety glasses had clips to prevent lens falling or being knocked out. He made them in conjunction with the RAAF and an optometrist in Melbourne by the name of Martin X Hogan at the top end of Collins St. I must have had about 4 or 5 pair of those specs over time and the latter ones were to a prescription. Had trifocals for a while, but at that time the top lens had to be a separate and that caused a few other problems, but it did make the overhead panel more readable - used to practice reaching for the switches etc without looking. That worked but the gauges up there you had to look at! Nobody seems to concentrate on good practical aviation glasses any more. Not the market obviously? Now easier to carry two pair - one anti-glare, one regular. Keeps you in line with the CASA requirement also.
I still have and use my last set of Hogan's Apollo frames, I have lost count of how many replacement lenses.
Colvin/Hogan has cockpit dimensions for almost all airline aircraft, and designed lenses to suit the individual and the instrument panel distance.
For the overhead panel a tri-focal or quad focal area would be in the top right or left hand corned of the lens, depending on whether you were flying in the RH or LH seat.
They also made bonedome visors with correction for aging fighter pilots.
And, of course, their products were used in the US Space Program, hence the name Apollo, and they (Colvin/Hogan) played a major role in developing the poly-carbonate lens material that is now standard in all decent lens ----- NEVER, but NEVER use spectacles with glass lens ---- Colvin used to make the point with truly "orrible" picture of ex- airline pilots who had suffered from having "glass" lens in front of their eyes, and paid with their careers.
Does anybody know whatever happened to Hogan and the frames, they are the best I ever used --- and still use flying, my local optometrist is very accommodating in crafting suitable lenses.
Tootle pip!!