PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your first "I learned something from that" story?
Old 21st Mar 2019, 22:32
flyinkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had just started learning to fly, and I was hanging out at the club bar talking to some old club members. One of them recalled the time he was in a Victa Air Tourer doing circuits. He'd only recently started training for his aerobatic rating, and was just doing some currency flying. On his second circuit he'd been instructed to orbit downwind while a 737 took off. He completed his orbit and was cleared to touch and go. Everything went well up till he was about 450 feet on the climb out when the plane hit wake turbulence that snap rolled the aircraft 90 degrees to the left. He had the presence of mind to push the stick hard left to continue the roll and he ended right way up and wings level at about 150 feet. He swears that had he applied right stick he would have died. I wasn't in a position to argue the point then, and I'm not today. Sadly that pilot succumbed to cancer a few years ago, a really top bloke and superb raconteur.