PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay discrimination in ATC
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 20:41
bluewolf_85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Wilson
Bluewolf,
That is the problem then, and where you should be focusing your efforts. My field does have people in the same job for years and it is a failure of the organisations that I supply to recruit permanently that leads to it.
Have you considered lobbying for increased training numbers from the local system?
Or organising locally and bidding for the contract yourselves?
​​You will probably still need contractors for a time whilst you get the numbers through a training system, but once you have the numbers through you could bid much lower than any external company.

​​​​​​It is hard when the government seems blind to the issue. Especially when the solution is easy, but just takes a long time! In my field and country I can to some extent understand it, it takes 15 years of training to get our staff qualified, and there are elections every 5 years, so anything the current government does will only benefit the opposition.

You would have thought that under the system of government in Bahrain, at least taking a long term view would be one of the advantages, but it seems not in this case.
Paul Wilson the solution is easy and actually it does not take a long time. To train a brand new air traffic controller and get them fully qualified to work takes a year to a year and a half in most countries in the world. The system in here intentionally stalls the training and courses of new local employees and keep them working as assistants in ATC for 4 to 5 years before training them for air traffic controllers, because they do not care to invest in them and teach them and provide them with the knowledge for this job. The system in Bahrain has this mandate to bring experience foreigners and employ them for very high salaries, not to invest in the local young brains that are willing to give it all to serve their country.