PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASDOT Contract chopped?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 15:58
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evalu8ter
ASDOT was a lot more than just DACT; EW training for the RAF/RN and a lot of other facilities were "rolled up" to replace legacy capabilities such as 100 Sqn, 736 NAS and the Cobham Falcon 20s. There has been, IMHO, some very poor behaviours and dreadful requirements management from MoD. Doubtless "the conspiracy of optimism" has served a few individuals well in getting promoted and bailing out before this stage, but the ever moving goalposts and uncertainty about funding has dogged this project nearly from the start, with numerous revisions/recasts. The notion was sound, but the requirements ill-conceived (some would say bloated) and the credibility of some of the bidders to deliver what was required within the budget was being stretched mighty thin. Wait now for panic contract extensions to Cobham and, perhaps, a nice little contract to BAES for another tranche of Hawk T2s to replace 100, 736 and the Reds (and slip a few more in for MFTS perhaps to ease that clusterf*ck)…..A sad indictment all round of MoD's inability to contract out for complex services, and a blow to the concept of "Whole Force Approach".

Hey mate,

I discussed this with TD when he was then the T1/T2 Requirements Manager (I think I remember telling you?) and he said the T2 wasn't suitable for the kind of flying the Reds do - it's not aerobatic enough, apparently. Perhaps because it's considerably heavier? I don't know.

I quite like the jet AERALIS are designing and that might be more attractive for the Reds in 2035.