PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine IFR
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2001, 10:36
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Martin is absolutely correct, Bob Crowe's web site has some excellent current information regarding this topic <a href="http://www.bobcroweaircraft.com/" target="_blank">here.</a>

I have been involved in operating a large number of single and twin fixed wing equipment (in addition to the obvious helicopters). I have had a Caravan for 5 years now, and frankly, it is the VERY BEST aircraft, of any description, I have ever owned and operated.

It is understandable and absolutely correct that an evolutinary technological advance be carefully examined by all interested parties, to ensure that the progression is made without undue risk to the general public; passengers; or the industry overall. To do otherwise would be disingenuous for all concerned.

The difficulty arises when established, intransigent positions are taken regarding the issues, without the ability to effectively ensure that the issue is being judged upon its merits, rather than politics, prejudices and pedantry.

I have watched at first hand the activities in the UK as the CAA drove these operators out of business. I do not believe that they were given a fair shot at proving (by one means or another) the viability of what they were trying to do - namely cost effectively hauling freight.

At some point I am sure that the position will change and progress will be made. Personally, I believe the potential for 3rd level carriers in the UK is significant, with the ever continuing congestion on roads and railways.

The ability to provide safe, time efficient and cost effect transportation is what the customer wants isn't it?

The customer is what the commercial air transportation business is all about, or has some tax-payer funded beaurocrat somewhere forgotten that???

With the current crisis in the UK (and world) air transportation business, this might be the most appropriate time ever, to approve and initiate this sector of aviation. As the industry slows, the availability of both commercial and regulatory resources can only be benefitted by any opportunity to expand upon its existent capability.