PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot spectacle lenses ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2019, 03:13
Atlas Shrugged

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh.... glasses!

Go for straight prescription, frameless. Oh, don't get polarised either!

I'm in the intermediate range for distance, but definately well past it when it comes to reading. Contacts and normal sunglasses together don't work for me. The problem is that cockpits tend to have things that you need to read at about 3 feet away from you but have overhead panels that are a lot closer, very close. Some years ago what I did was get a set of half moon glasses set to about a 2.5 to 3 feet and comfortably sat them a fair way down the bridge of my nose. It seemed to work fairly well except and for the overhead I just need to push them up and wear them normally. The frames did tend to often get in the way though.

I tried bifocals next but the standard ones didn't work so I had a custom set made that I still use where the top third has distance correction, and the lower two thirds intermediate for the instruments and overhead. Funnily enough, where the zones in the lenses meet aligns along perfectly with the things I need to look at. They work well and I can simply wear them properly and move my eyes wherever I need to.

Don't get varifocals - not good at all - they make you move your head to see things, instead of just a flick of the eyeballs, and that's quite vertigo inducing.