PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to fan the passion at a young age
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2019, 03:03
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cralis
I have a young daughter who, from an early age, has been extremely inquisitive about engineering areas. She’s shown more interest than my older kids in strange things. How does the car drive. How did they build that bridge. How does an aeroplane fly.

I’m not a pilot. I do have a keen interest in aviation. (I’m not forcing anything on her though - just to be clear) She sees me on the PC simulator a lot and sits and watches. She has a shot and enjoys the basics. Trying stable flight. Working out what the control surfaces do.

She loves travel and is always asking questions while flying. I’ve been lucky enough that a flight deck crew has allowed her a visit (on the ground). She’s only 8. But as a father if two other older kids - her interest has been high.

Im not sure if it’s the best thing, but she just joined the Australian Air League and loves it. It’s like the scouts but aviation oriented. I’m not so keen on the marching. And the fact that the leaders keep says “Ok, boys ... now we will ...”. She’s the only girl. But still. I fear statements like that will make her start thinking “should I be here?”

So my question is, at such a young age, is there a way to keep the keenness going? Is the Australian Air League worth keeping up? Are there options where that u can take to help her see that aviation is an option to her?

Shes young, but I’ve seen a lot of stories about how people got the bite - and it seems it happens at a young age. Should I just leave it and see how she goes by herself? Maybe she’s too young? Or are there options? Taking her to air fields and seeing them up close? Visit ATC?

any ideas or advice would be great.
Not sure where in Oz you are but at the aerodrome I work at there is an active Air League operation that includes flight training and also air experience camps for their members.

One thing you could sus out is maybe getting her some air experience for her - many schools would be happy to do a trial instructional flight with a youngster keen to fly - there is no actual minimum age in Oz to do flying training (although if you do start too early the problem is you may get overcooked as you cannot go solo until 15). Many pilots can trace the start of their passion to a flight in a light aircraft as a child.

The next generation of people in aviation always needs to be encouraged, potentially as future pilots, engineers, designers or whatever. If she has a passion, indulge it!