PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 21:52
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks JENKINS. Your comment about boundaries rather than borders, combined with the made-up name reference immediately brought Texarkana to mind. It's geographically one city, but politically two. The "ana" in the name comes from Louisiana which is only 30 miles to the south.

State Line Avenue follows the Texas-Arkansas state line throughout much of Texarkana. The two "sides" of Texarkana are separate only from a political standpoint. Thousands of locals actually live in one state and work in the other.

Owing to its divided political nature, Texarkana has two mayors and two sets of city officials; however, the two sides share a federal building, courthouse, jail, post office, labor office, chamber of commerce, water utility, and several other offices.
I've never been there but was aware of it from my time in Houston. What is interesting from a non-US perspective, when I looked it up on GE is that there are three other airports, six miles or less from the centre of twin cities with a population of only 70,000. Not very unusual in the US.

This challenge shouldn't last long. I took these pictures last Sunday and post them mainly because of the interesting aircraft.