View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 17:55
Parapunter

Originally Posted by tescoapp View Post
I wasn't talking about distribution I was talking about a parts store which items range from 1gram washers to 100-200 kg lumps of metal (obviously they stay on pallets on ground level).
Of course you were. Let's look back at the original exchange.

Originally Posted by Parapunter View Post
a supermarket faced with the decision on whether to invest 5-6m on an automated picking system using tall bay narrow aisle racking with automatic guided vehicles, or throw a few dozen 8.20/hr pickers at it for a couple of years until this mess sorts itself out, to pick one example of the top of my head.

It's like explaining why the sky is blue to a child.
Which led you directly to bestow me with your 'expertise':

Here's you imagining pickers run up & down ladders fetching cases of Unicorns for leave voters to cuddle at night.

And these days keeping the worker safe carry's an extremely heavy price. For you to be using pickers, tall bay shelves you need them trained working at heights. You also need to protect the workers under them. You have to proved height access, a ladder won't cut the mustard. You need the safety infrastructure and all the safety assessment's very quickly the cost all mounts up. Never mind your through put is less that 30% of the automatic system. And try 12 million for one installed last year.
And here's the sound of someone furiously backpedalling. Oh I meant a parts store, despite you clearly & in black & white, for all to see, specifically discussing a supermarket picking operation.

I wasn't talking about distribution I was talking about a parts store which items range from 1gram washers to 100-200 kg lumps of metal (obviously they stay on pallets on ground level).

And if you are running rack systems where workers are working above head height and your not doing the items I have stipulated then you deserve what you get when someone gets hurt or god forbid killed.
There it is again, workers above head height. Gee, you really have run large scale distribution ops putting thousands of pallets a day through by having guys running up & down ladders like some industrial snakes & ladders.

You're about as credible as postman pat mate.