PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF looks for new ejector seat
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 17:50
Lonewolf_50

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy
I've flown with the USAF, and it uses "Bailout" as the command to eject. It uses "Egress" as the command to unstrap and get out in a ground emergency.
I have also flown with the US Navy and seem to recall they used the exact same terminology, but I stand ready to be corrected.
The RAF uses "Eject".
Honestly, if you're going to be such a pedant, get your own stuff right first!
I already explained the difference, explicitly, in that very post. (Yeah, egress is indeed a commonly used term for ground exit).
As far as the USN goes, I know I am correct. Last time I was in a T-45 it was a briefing item. The call being "eject, eject, eject."
If the USAF has for some reason chosen to call for "bail out" rather than "eject" in ejection seat aircraft, that would be a surprise to me.
It's been over a decade since I last worked a joint training program. That (alleged) difference never came up, though a variety of other differences did.
I am going on my memory over yours. How long ago is your reference from?

As thud105 pointed out:
According to Martin-Baker (who, I think we all agree, should know) they make Ejection Seats.
@tucumseh: Martin Baker has a long and well established rep on this side of the pond. For good reasons. I have quite a few friends who have enjoyed an E-Ticket ride for real in a Martin Baker seat.
In a box somewhere, I've got a small caterpillar pin, and a card that shows that I have joined the caterpillar club. But that was a long time ago.