PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA flight training regulations
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 10:24
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by selfin
havick, pursuit of a course of study by aliens admitted to the United States under the VWP, or a B-class visa, is expressly prohibited by statute. The relevant regulation and supplemental guidance is given in this (pdf link) memorandum dated 12 Apr 2002 for regional directors et al from the Executive Associate Commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization Service on the subject "prohibition of B-1 or B-2 nonimmigrants enrolling in a course of study prior to a change of nonimmigrant status."
what’s the definition of a course of study then?

like I said why does the TSA even have the VWP as an option in their application?

is a type rating, or an ATP conversion a course of study?

Serious question. How do pretty much all the pilots in the world from VWP eligible countries get away with coming to FSI or CAE for a recurrent or type rating then?

**Edit - Just read the document. Pretty interesting. I suppose a recurrent training wouldn’t constitute a course of training, and perhaps borderline an initial type rating. Perhaps even a license conversion wouldn’t constitute a course of training if it’s straight to an ATP as technically there’s no training required just a written and test component (helicopter only as fixed wing needs ATP-CTP course). But the primary “intent” of the visit would have to be for vacation and then also happen to knock over the flight stuff. I suppose in that instance it would be legal under the VWP.