PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex-543 Sqn Concerns
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 09:51
Rappers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leukaemia??

Originally Posted by Ephesus543
I was ground crew on 543 sqn from 1967 to disbandment in 1974.
iwas involved in washing and cleaning contaminated aircraft on there return from Peru sniffing sorties.
About a year ago I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma for which I am undergoing chemotherapy every two weeks.
This cancer is not curable,it can only be kept in check for a number years, no one knows how long.
If I can be of any assistance please don't he hesitate to contact me.
sincerely,
graham rumbellow

Hi Graham,
My name is Mike Rapley and I was on 543, 1970 to 1974, as a sooty. I distinctly remember spending hours washing down the aircraft, post Peru, wearing just a spot suit and wellies and more importantly we were never checked for any radiation. I am now 74 years old and have recently been undergoing two bone marrow tests , I've had to have two as the first one wasn't conclusive evidence but from what my Consultant Haemotologist is saying is that I could have Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and they are discussing what treatment I could be offered.
When this was first highlighted I did mention the exposure to radiation and the conclusion is that it could be related. It was this that started me researching the topic and stumbled across your post and I'm of the mind that it is not a coincidence! Are you aware of any other of our colleagues that are suffering?
If you do get to read this then thank you for your time and if you would like to respond to me directly my email is [email protected].
An interesting topic and thanks for your time.
Regards
Mike Rapley