PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-76A 1st flight...
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 00:40
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
I purchased and flew Sikorsky S-76A serial number 12 around the world. That particular flight was from East to West.

I found it a magnificent machine and ended up selling it to the St John’s Ambulance EMS service in New Zealand, and I understand it is still operating there.

I was once told that serial number 12 was actually flown by King Hussein of Jordan himself. Does anyone know if there is any factual basis to this?

If anyone is interested, there is a scan of the book I published on this trip. The book is called “Above the World” and here is a link: Above the World by Dick & Pip Smith 1996

I have also put my documentaries of my solo helicopter flight around the world on this website http://dicksmithadventure.com.au/ as well, under “Documentaries & Films”, “Adventure documentaries”, then “Solo Around the World by Helicopter Stage one”, “Solo Around the World by Helicopter Stage two”, "Solo Around the World by Helicopter Stage 3 1982/3" and “Solo Around the World BBC edit 1982-83”.

I have often said to people I owe my life to the incredible reliability of North American technology and manufacture.