PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson recruitment.
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2019, 11:39
HardLanding1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingH1gh
Hi all,

Is anyone able to help with some questions for a potential new joiner?

- How does the rostering system work in basic terms?
- Is anyone able to share some 787 rosters for new FO's? And is this location specific i.e. does Manchester differ to Gatwick?
- expected time to LHS? I appreciate this can vary significantly.

Thank you in advance for any replies. FH
1- The rostering system is massively outdated compared to other airlines, but once your roster is published it's set and they can't do any significant changes without your permission. There is a bidding system, but I'm not sure it's ever given anyone what they want. It certainly hasn't for me, and I've not met anyone singing it's praises.

2 - In winter imagine a mix of trips from bullets (1 night) to week long trips, with a lot of positioning to Scandi land. Some trips are great e.g. 1 week downroute in LIR or CMB, others are grim (I have no idea how 21hrs down-route in Thailand is even legal). There's lots of positioning around the Caribbean too in a Jetstream or CRJ, which can be fun on short hops, tedious on longer ones. In summer it's more bullets on the 787, but if you're a new starter you won't see summer on a 787 for a few years as they're dual-fleeting people onto 737 for summers (They want to eventually make this dual-fleeting standard). 737 summers are brutal, expect 6 on 2 off with deep nights and transitions, the 737s saving grace is exceptionally quiet winters, however you'll be going back onto the 787 for winter to ensure you're busy!

3- Massively varies, I hear of people getting it at around 6 years on 737, 12+ on 787. Keep in mind that if you take LHS 737 after 6 years, you'll have to wait until your turn to get LHS 787 (It's not a fast track), although they may offer dual fleet again, so you get long haul in the winters if you're willing to sacrifice your life for some LH. Captain's payscales are calculated by time in rank, not time in company, so an earlier command is probably more profitable than holding out for 787 LHS. All fleets are on the same payscale.

Any other questions fire them my way, if you don't want to ask something publicly feel free to PM.