PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unserved European destinations from London
Old 17th Mar 2019, 02:05
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Unserved European destinations from London

London through 6 airports is connected with nonstop flights to a huge number of destinations. However each year airlines somehow come up with unserved routes and either open new routes or resume previously unserved routes. This is not about airport pairs (eg flown from Gatwick but not Luton) - I'm thinking of city pairs, namely towns/cities in Europe (or close to Europe) that do not have nonstop flights to any of the 6 airports that are normally considered to be London-focussed (LHR, LGW, STN, LTN, LCY, SEN)

I've chosen London simply because its aviation market is so much larger than anywhere else in the UK and tends to see new routes to see cities well before anywhere else in the UK

In 2019, I can think of:
Brest, Carlisle (maybe !), Rijeka, Rodez, Turku, Vigo - resumption
Calvi - former charter only, now scheduled
Eilat, Istanbul, Murcia - new airport built, old airport closing/closed

I realise that the B word looms large (please don't turn this into a political discussion) but what destinations currently unserved from London might be under consideration for the next 12 to 18 months ?
I can think of maybe Akureryri, Brac, Graz, Karpathos, Lugano, Odessa or the new Scandinavian Mountains airport, but these are all a bit of a guess.

Please note - this is not a "What routes would make you happy" question - I'm thinking of routes for which a genuine business case exists, one can identify a plausible airline for the route, potential demand is credible, and an airline has a good chance of profitability - expect to be challenged if you are playing a metaphorical "blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey" !

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 17th Mar 2019 at 02:25.