PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ET302 crash this morning
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 13:22
BALEWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOEING AD AFTER THE LION AIR DISASTER...

“On November 7, 2018, we issued Emergency AD 2018-23-51, which requires revising certificate limitations and operating procedures of the AFM to provide the flight crew with runaway horizontal stabilizer trim procedures to follow under certain conditions. This emergency AD was sent previously to all known U.S. owners and operators of these airplanes. This action was prompted by analysis performed by the manufacturer showing that if an erroneously high single AOA sensor input is received by the flight control system, there is a potential for repeated nose-down trim commands of the horizontal stabilizer. This condition, if not addressed, could cause the flight crew to have difficulty controlling the airplane, and lead to excessive nose-down attitude, significant altitude loss, and possible impact with terrain. “

Ok, So, from what I understand this issue is due to the design of the airplane as per engines sticking out further and so and so etc ....And I see all this analysis on pprune and elsewhere with guys all hyperventilating over what could or shouldn’t have been done. ��.

Well, from someone who has sat safely on all the models of the B737 for the last 20 years or so without any concerns and working for an operator that operates both the NG and MAX series my wife asked me a very simple question while we were having breakfast last Tuesday on my way to work ....Honey, would you fly the MAX after yesterdays ET accident..

Not going to reveal my answer here but to give you an idea of my response to her I was very grateful to hear of the Ban by EASA....