PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thunderstorm Avoidance
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2003, 18:51
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

How interesting. As Sperm Bank wrote, "The biggest and most powerful thunderstoms I have witnessed anywhere in the world are right here in Oz.", I too would concur with that.
The Cb's in the tropics, whilst appearing similar, don't pack the same wallop.

Personally I would totally ignore druglord's comments, because as much as he may have been lucky so far, there have been several recorded instances of aircraft being totally destroyed by straying too close to a Cb.
The recommendation I had beaten into me as a young Ansett pilot, several decades ago, has proven fairly reliable - minimum lateral separation of 10nm from the nearest part of the f@cker when OAT is above freezing level, and 20nm lateral avoidance when OAT is below freezing.

Spermie's probably erred on the safe side, with his 10nm/10k of height, as I have often seen Cb's up to 60,000' in Oz.

Avoid flying under the overhang (the longer part of the anvil top), and try to fly upwind (vs downwind) when diverting around them.
If, at some stage you HAVE to fly through a line of them, avoid "hooks" (on radar returns) and areas where 2 of the mothers are close together. When using radar, 3 on the "Gain" seems about as sensitive as you would want. Some of the younger guys want to use "Max", and then find themselves wanting to divert around rain showers.
If you do get caught in one, fly pitch...don't go chasing airspeed.

Above all - contrary to other advice - avoid going too near them, esp. the young developing ones (usually from 10 or 11am, through to around 2 or 3pm), these are the most active. Dissipating/mature/decaying Cb's pack less of a whack, but probably enough to do some serious structural damage if you get too intimately involved!!

Last edited by Kaptin M; 27th Oct 2003 at 02:45.