PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCAS ALTITUDE V ATTITUDE ??
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2019, 19:38
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MCAS ALTITUDE V ATTITUDE ??

I've started this thread since the other long threads are getting impossible to follow. In previous thread(s) severl have claimed that MCAS has an ALTITUDE input of some sort. Gums and others have not been able to find such a constraint. I think I've found where the confusion started and IMHO its probably a typo !!

OK here is the basic link that may have started

737 MAX - MCAS

And if one scrolls down one finds

" Technical Description of Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS)
MCAS (Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System) is implemented on the 737 MAX to enhance pitch characteristics with flaps UP and at elevated angles of attack. The MCAS function commands nose down stabilizer to enhance pitch characteristics during steep turns with elevated load factors and during flaps up flight at airspeeds approaching stall. MCAS is activated without pilot input and only operates in manual, flaps up flight. The system is designed to allow the flight crew to use column trim switch or stabilizer aislestand cutout switches to override MCAS input. The function is commanded by the Flight Control computer using input data from sensors and other airplane systems.
The MCAS function becomes active when the airplane Angle of Attack exceeds a threshold based on airspeed and altitude. Stabilizer incremental commands are limited to 2.5 degrees
BUT further on is this official document ( pasted part of image since could not copy and paste )

and the term is ATTITUDE !
RUllaWaY Stabilizer
Required by AD 2018-23-51
Disengage autopilot and control airplane pitch attitude with control column
and main electric trim as required.
Attached Files