PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to Commercial
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2019, 19:15
pitotheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knockknock I left the RAF in 2000, I flew down the back. I got my F/ATPL and CPL/IR whilst still in. My squadron were superb at releasing me for courses. Compared to me you are in a lot stronger position. When I started applying for jobs I would say the cycle was in a very similar position to now. After a few months I started with Flybe on the Dash 8. A few months later the twin towers attack happened. I stayed in my job but felt very vulnerable for a while. Within 18 months I had job offers from Britannia, Air 2000 and easyjet. I chose the colour orange and have been there since and approaching a point where I can retire. Someone else I knew in the RAF, a pilot, followed me out the door less than a year after me. He missed the boat and having tried various routes he got into ad hoc performance C charters but gave up and got a job in IT. He was and still is a good operator and fine company.
What I’m trying to say is there is a fair element of luck and it is all about timing. I feel we are approaching the end of this economic cycle so if you are going to do it then commit and get through your training quickly and have a plan B.
Good luck.