PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Failed Exam - How Important?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2003, 17:29
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just regard getting the ATPL as a war of attrition with the CAA and take the attitude that you have passed more than you have failed.

I,v probably taken more CAA exams than most ( ground engineer , flight engineer and ATPL ) and have failed a few bits along the way but have always regarded the first exam sitting as part of the trainning.

The whole industry knows that the exams have no relation to the real world , I was lucky as my ground engineers licence exempted me from some of the techincal exams , at the time I had just done the A320 airframe/engine course with Airbus at toulouse and I would have failed the CAA hydrulic exam with a mark of zero % ! the whole thing was writen by some one who must have had a good knowlage of the airspeed oxford or the DC3 because it sure did not look like anything I had ever seen.

Failing a few exams never did me any harm ( except when I had to write the next cheque ) as most personnel departments dont have the first idea of what the exam system is about and if it is a pilot who asks the question then just tell him that you had been holding down two jobs at the time to pay for it all !.