PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 15th Mar 2019, 12:55
wheelsright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aim of any aircraft system is to improve safety or at least not compromise safety. I suspect suggestions of attempting to quantify inertia may be difficult to achieve and do not address the fundamental issue. The aim is to prevent a stall.

A stall is avoided by ensuring there is sufficient air velocity over the wing and the AoA is compatible with that airflow. In principle, there is nothing wrong with the direct approach of AoA transducers. The question is really down to a calculation of how effective and reliable those transducers are taking into account what happens if one of more fail at any given time and the processing of airspeed data. Unreliable airspeed and AoA information must be handled in a way that does not introduce unacceptable risk. Bluntly a perfectly adequate air-frame with adequate airspeed and AoA should not result in the controls system forcing the aircraft into the ground.

I do not know whether the fundamentals of the air-frame create an unacceptable risk, but I doubt it. It seems to me that it will be possible to resolve the problems with improved control system design. That may include additional or improved AoA sensors, improved software logic, additional system redundancy, improved pilot notification. The problem is likely to occur close to the ground giving little leeway for a pilot to differentiate from a genuine stall situation or a control anomaly. Cross referencing of engine power, pitch and control surface positions may provide additional assistance in flagging an anomaly with the AoA and airspeed readings.

It is already fairly clear at this stage that the MAX systems are not adequate. While the pilots and training may be a factor, they are unlikely to be the primary cause of the problem. The problem is primarily with inadequate control systems. No pilot should be placed in the position of having to avert disaster except on the rarest of occasions. Modern pilots still need to be in tune with the machinery they are using; whether it is software controlled or mechanical. Automation has improved safety in general, but has also introduced a new set of problems that every pilot should have an adequate understanding of. That requires automation to be predictable and as intuitive as possible.