PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S grounds ALL 737 Max
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2019, 04:54
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
JT610 DFDR

Wow.

Expected to see activity, but the poor driver is getting RSI on the trim system there. The last minute is just desperately sad to see, however it sure looks like the pilot was cognitively saturated in the event, he was constantly on the trim fighting against the stab augment system, MCAS, but didn't get to the point of isolating the system with the stab cutout on the throttle quadrant.

1. Hidden (not so much...) in the chart there is AND motion automatically occurring with the flaps extended, from 23:22:59 through to 23:24:44, with the AP off the whole time. WTF

The AOA probe values show a constant DC offset between L & R, that is not consistent with a AOA failure. The chart may have the indices for the Left and right offset for clarity, but they don't indicate a signal error between the two, there is more or less a constant DC difference between the two values. There is no other way as far as I can recall from my own B735 AMM, that you can get a constant variation between the output, from an faulty vane, it will be jammed, or otherwise inoperative but it doesn't have a constant offset between the two systems. If there is no offset of the indices, then the zero is wrong on one of the vanes. If they are offset, then the issue is not from the AOA vane.

What work was done on the aircraft prior to despatch on the AOA system?

For current NG Max drivers, is STS still a mode in manual flight on these aircraft? I am current on classics, not the later variants.

Last edited by fdr; 15th Mar 2019 at 06:50. Reason: chart offset display? qry STS functionality