PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing advice on "aerodynamically relieving airloads" using manual stabilizer trim
Old 15th Mar 2019, 04:07
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris Scott,
Specifically the trim pitch up (instead of reducing power by retarding the thrust levers) to prevent exceeding limit speeds, and pilots fighting the pitch up trying to maintain assigned altitude, with autothrottle engaged.. When it all came apart, violent pitch ups exceeded 35 or more degrees, from memory.
There is a spectacular video of a A 310 over Paris, the pilot had to roll it on its side to get the nose down, that actual aircraft was later lost in what was thought to be similar circumstances some time later. At least he understood he could never just get the nose to pitch down by pushing.
There was an A 310 lost on approach at Nagoya, that was a close one for Qantas, there was some discussion about an immediate t/o for QF, they got it, and the A310 finished up about where the QF B747 has been holding.
I well remember, at the time, ANG (PX)) banning any coupled missed approaches ---- but that was back in the day when we could ALL fly --- and were expected, so to do. I thought it was a very wise decision on behalf of m' old mate, their boss of training. the best way of eliminating mode confusion is eliminate the modes as required.
What I do know about the B737 (up to NG) is that the stab trim cutout switches are in exactly the same position as every other Boeing aircraft I have flown, and that is a few. I would bet the Max is the same.
The crew of the Lyon Air "the night before" from Bali demonstrated what was possible with their particular set of defects.
Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 15th Mar 2019 at 04:19. Reason: minor text change.