PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing advice on "aerodynamically relieving airloads" using manual stabilizer trim
Old 14th Mar 2019, 21:11
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Folks,
I don't know where this comes from, but with a jammed/frozen stab on the B707, you simply trimmed by splitting the spoilers, and at lower speed, splitting the flaps ---- one of the lesser advertised benefits of a swept wing.
There was no need for any so called "yo-yo" maneuver.
It is true of the B707 that full elevator deflection could stall the stab, and you had to reduce the aerodynamic load on the stab by reducing the elevator deflection, which you wouldn't want to do close to the ground, if it meant lowering the nose.
So: On the overhead panel, about the Captain's right eyebrow, Spoiler Switch UP, and pull the Speedbrake as required. The rule was: Switch UP, pitch Up, Switch Down, pitch Down ( except on G- registered aircraft, where D.P.Davies buggered it up, as usual).
Yes, doubt any pilot or F/E rated on the B707 could forget the splitting of spoilers (and, for the approach, the flaps) for pitch control in the jammed-stabiliser case. But I'm not familiar with the layout of spoilers on the wing of the seven-THREE, or if they can be split in the same way. We need a rated B737 pilot to comment...

Originally Posted by LeadSled
I will be fascinated to find out what the realm problem is with the speed stability system on the Max --- anybody who flew them cast your minds back to the A310 and A300-600, and aircraft losses.
Not sure what you are specifically referring to. I did (only) two years P1 on the A310 35 years ago, and my main recollection of significant trim (THS) contingencies relates to the G/A situation - with or without AP. The auto-trim with AP engaged was, IIRC, slower than manual THS trimming, so the yoke remained forward for a longer period. But I'm not aware that the large amount of down-elevator required in either case ever led to the THS stalling.

It seems unfortunate that, faced with unexpectedly strong competition from the A320 family (first certificated in 1988), Boeing decided to exploit the grandfather certification rights of the B737 rather than introducing an all-new type.