PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW492 diversion at Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2019, 17:31
slast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blind pew
Originated in BEA where some of the bomber boys could not cope with the Trident especially on approach way behind the drag curve and was the reason their monitored approach was developed. It was also the reason that Hamble was taken over by the corporations in 1960 when there were thousands of ex military pilots available.
Serious comments here seem to be about issues of dealing with advanced flight systems in turbulent or windshear conditions, but to save BP embarrassing himself and serious readers any further, there’s almost no likelihood that his recent comments have any relevance to this event.

“Bomber boys on the Trident” – for peer-reviewed information on "Pilot-monitored approach” see https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Monitored_Approach and for more detail www.picma.info .

Re “It was also the reason that Hamble was taken over by the corporations in 1960 when there were thousands of ex military pilots available.” Complete and utter b***s.
See papers at for example Royal Aeronautical Society 2017 seminar https://www.aerosociety.com/news/pro...of-the-sandys/ Duncan Sandys as Minister of Defence in 1957 set out a government policy which replaced most RAF piloted aircraft operations with missiles. It abolished Fighter Command and manned interceptors, cancelled Blue Streak and its replacement Skybolt, rendering the V-force bombers obsolete by 1965, cancelled most aircraft projects and merged the remaining manufacturers. See also https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/.../0/steps/12809 . National Service and RAF short service pilot commissions were abolished, so the supply of ready trained ex military pilots would dry up at just the time that the Air Corporations wanted more to expand. Consequently, as stated in paragraph 1 of the introduction to the initial Hamble prospectus in 1960:

“FOR MANY YEARS the output of pilots from the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force provided the great majority of pilot recruits for Civil Aviation. With the reduction in the size of the Armed Services there were strong indications that this situation could not prevail for very much longer. The Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation and the Ministry of Education in conjunction with B.O.A.C. and B.E.A., decided that arrangements must be made to train, as pilots, young men who had recently left school and who wished to make Civil Aviation their career.”

Some aspects of Sandys’ policies were later reversed, but in 1962 as an ATC cadet when I passed the RAF's initial pilot selection process to get a Flying Scholarship, I was told that if I was successful and joined up, it would be on a 28 year commission and it was unlikely I would be actively flying after 1970. On that basis Hamble seemed like the better option for a pilot career!

Back to the real subject of the thread?