PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Training & Employment prospects
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2003, 13:48
Lowlevldevl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowtyper,
I have to agree with dzaeroplus. I did my conversion with Cathy and Lynne a few months back. There is not one aspect of my 2 weeks there that I'd change. The others are probably fine, but Abbotsford is really easy to get to from Oz (close to Vancouver). They have very reasonably priced accomodation within walking distance of their school. Cathy has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Canadian theory, with all the past exam papers you will need to pass that. Theres a Transport Canada office on the airport where you can do your exams and apply for your license.
Training is done in B-47 G2's. Underpowered but great for honing your basic skills. Cathy is a terrific instructor and unless you had really first class instruction in OZ, you won't just do a conversion, you'll learn something. I don't believe I could have done any better elsewhere for the money. If you're a mustering pilot, don't go there with the idea that you're going to show the Canucks how we do it down-under. The G2's won't handle it and Cathy won't put you up for the flight test until you slow it down.
"When in Rome......"
Have heard from a few others that Helicollege charge like wounded bulls for their theory component but the pass rate is excellent. I admit thats second hand but look into it.

One thing to check first, saw in one of the other threads that Canada and New Zealand are going to recognize each others Commercial Pilots certificates, If that is true, the Trans Tasman agreement MAY mean they recognise Australias as well. Just a rumour but worth checking out.

If you do end up going with Chinook, give Nimbus a pat for me.