PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI Airways
Thread: TUI Airways
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2019, 13:13
clipstone1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mik3bravo
Should be insurance cover under airlines operating policy covering costs and expenses resulting from regulator initiated actions in response to a wider global aviation event. Though I doubt insurance underwriters will sit back and accept such risk specific to any new aircraft scenario. Possible some underwriters may look to exclude potential cover relating to a specific new aircraft. In which case, if product defect determined and manufacturer negligence determined, that may present route to legal remedy, perhaps? Could product modifications after the event be considered an admission of an issue in the inherent product safety? Who knows, only the lawyers and courts will decide.
A standard airlines Hull & Liability insurance policy does not cover "consequential costs/business interruption" so it is unlikely the airlines own insurances will cover the costs incurred for a) carrying on flying using other aircraft or sub-charters b) the ongoing lease payments on the grounded aircraft c) additional cost of parking and storage. Every airline will now have a claim against Boeing to try to recover those costs, however I believe Boeing have a cap on the amount they insure for "type grounding" based on an amount per aircraft and a total amount across all aircraft. The amount Boeing insure of course does not limit the amount they become liable for (wouldn't want to be Boeing or their insurer right now). Does however mean that I am sure the airlines will not recover 100% of the interuption costs they incur.