PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Pilots arrested Malta
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2003, 13:01
meddoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irregulaities

One operator in Malta has been allowed to operate spotter plane flights (where they spot tuna and direct fishing boats towards them), this is done even though a letter was hand delivered to all operators stating that if there is an suspicion that they are involved in tuna spotting, their a/c will be impounded and the operator/pilot fined/imprisoned. This particular operator says that his are pollution control flights, during which he tells boats towing tuna pens where any oil slicks are. However the owner and some of his close friends boast that, well if you see fish you can always say…look! There’s tuna, thus acting as a spotter plane!!!
Just to not I am not in any way connected to the aircraft/airline business but I am an aircraft enthiusiast .

I checked the law (it is acailable on line) and this (the quote) is only applicable for June. Apart from this, it is clear from the law, that it is very difficult to monitor and enforce. Here is the excerpt of interest:

3. Aircraft in support of fishing operations in the Mediterranean Sea shall not take off from, or land in, Malta throughout the month of June of each year.

4. If it appears to the Director that an aircraft is intended orlikely to be flown in support of fishing operations, the Director shall have the right to prohibit the take-off from, or landing in Malta of that aircraft during the month of June of each year.

The crucial wording is "if it appears". This signifies a difficulty in clear cut disitinction between what is "fish spotting" and other legal activities.

As for the employer being fined or otherwise, investigations are still on going so I cannot comment.

There was a point about overnight staying US registered pilots etc. If these are employed (paid) by a Maltese registered company they still need a work permit even if they never set foot in Malta!

Now for all of you that seem to enjoy bashiong Malta and each other (and some I have a good knowledge that they are Maltese - shame on you), even larger countries have similar problems with their aviation authorities and regulators. I just happened to fish out an interesting aticle from Australia written by Paul D Phelan, Executive editor, Australian Flying magazine; Senior contributor, Aircraft & Aerospace Magazine; Australian correspondent, Flight International magazine; Senior contributor, Middle East Aviation Journal (Dubai, United Arab Emirates).

http://www.flight.org/phelan/failing.htm

Last point, Maltese laws are in harmony to EU laws.