PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Hawk crash Tennessee Feb 2019
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2019, 12:16
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
DB,

Two different events with two different outcomes with two very different fact situations.

The UK incident did not involve in an aircraft being destroyed and all onboard being injured....not even remotely close to that.

The UK incident was investigated and from what we know appears to have been considered within established SOP's, etc.

I once was in a very similar situation as the Blackhawk crew.....Winter weather system with icing and snow/sleet/freezing rain....and a ferry flight from South Texas to the Washington DC Area to replace a U/S Bell 412 at a EMS Operation.

I was not released to depart until late in the afternoon.....crawled along in the muck until the weather improved enough to climb to height to do an ILS into Memphis where I spent the night.

Next day I did the scud running thing...until very close to Dulles International.....slid over the last high ridge and down into the clear.

Crossing the mountains with freezing participation IFR was not a choice thus if I was to deliver the aircraft.....it was muck around at tree top level.

I never ran low on fuel, always knew where my fuel. stops were at all times, flew slow enough to avoid obstacles, and always had a diversion available.

The Blackhawk Crew were confronted with somewhat similar problems.

But....for some reason....they let themselves get caught out....and had a very bad result.

The UK Crew did not.

Why don't you analyze the two incidents and tell us what the two crews did differently and how that affected the outcome of the two flights.