PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone usage in UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2019, 23:07
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintsman
I believe that new rules have just been introduced in the UK banning the use of drones within 5km of an airport. I think that these rules also include the use of drones that are considered toys.

If that is the case, then if I take my local airport (Southampton), a 5km range would take up most of the city.

If so, I imagine that an awful lot of people who have these toys do not appreciate that they can no longer use them and face severe penalties if they do.

Is this correct?
Yep, and it's been poorly reported / publicised, with many articles and guides still quoting a 250g lower limit to be caught by the legislation, a limit which has apparently (see e.g. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...miles_aiports/ ) now been removed - it appears that even a paper aeroplane would be banned now.

Kids toy copter is now locked away - too much chaos potential indoors and now illegal in the garden, until I figure out if the CAA really means that every parent just needs to phone the local airport ATC for permission to fly in their own garden a toy that weighs 50g and won't get above treetops.

Gets worse in November though, a mandatory registration process (as yet with no details - it isn't even clear if kids will be able to register at all) and fixed penalty notices which I'm sure Mr Plod will be very happy with as (as usual) it saves all the tedious mucking around with courts and having to have evidence of an offence and people being found not guilty...