PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW492 diversion at Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2019, 22:13
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
LD?

I went from BEA monitored approach with the "decide...change hands" to the BOAC monitored approach with the PM continuing to monitor the aircraft (experimental cross transfer after BA was formed ) and then onto the Swiss monitored approach which was a cross between the two.
The most foolish part of the lot was changing who was operating the throttles.
Recently at a guild knees up one of my first managers admitted that with hindsight they had got it wrong (we bent eight aircraft in my six years).
I learnt that passenger comfort and allaying their fears was not only part of the job but deferentiated between professionals and cowboys; this included not doing emergency descents with reverse, explaining (truthfully) to the punters what was going on, not planting the aircraft on the aiming point and not letting the automatics do silly things scaring the #### out of everyone.
I took these skills into light aircraft and glider instructing were you can see the fear in the punters first hand rather hiding behind a locked door.
In SR we were expected to greet then thank the pax when disembarking. .try it sometime as it teaches you humility.
There are still some that show that courtesy to pax.
Without doubt many aviators would not have left the autopilot doing unpleasant gyrations..there are times in your career that you will realise that company procedures do not cater for every contingency and you have to act on your own initiative.
It appears that the crew excepted 40 degrees of bank..how far would it have gone before they intervened and what could have been the consequences?