PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the Rejected Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2001, 16:04
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought: Does heavy braking reduce the amount of heat created by getting the wheeks stationary more quickly, therefore reducing the amount of time that they are flexing and heating? After all, it is the number of rotations of a tyre that determines how much they heat up when taxiing.

As for "reverse is not available on the failed engine or it's oposite" - well you can use asymmetric reverse thrust (I have done it) provided that you are prepared to reduce/cancel it if you get a drift. Also worth thinking about which side the wind is from - reverse on the right hand side would help to cancel a strong crosswind from the left (thrust yaw vs weathercocking).

I still maintain that a policy of immediate evacuation as opposed to assessing the situation first is fraught with hazards. Anyone seen the video of the Pan Am acident at San Francisco when the folks going out the front doors of the 747 dropped vertically to the tarmac because an aft CofG had the aeroplane tip back on it's tail? No-one staying on board was hurt because the brake fire went out.

what I do say is that each case must be treated on merit and no two RTOs will be the same.