PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the Rejected Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2001, 03:18
Nice Wing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glue Ball,

This is where this all gets interesting. You have said "Because I already know that there will be a brake fire, I would give the evacuation signal for all non overwing exits, order the fire handles pulled and then get out the door if the slide inflates, or via the inertia reels. There would be no need for me nor for any other crewmember to waste precious seconds to assess, to deliberate or to second guess the situation at hand."

However other threads above and myself would not neccesarily be so quick to evacuate. When has a brake fire ever led to an aircraft fire? Why do so many of us assume and train to order an evacuation at the first mention of the word fire? I am not sure that this is always the best decision.

I obviously cannot say that such a decision is right or wrong, but I can say that I think it is rarely cut and dried. You have decided that in these circumstances, you would evacuate. Fine. That was the extent of my analysis prior to a couple of weeks ago. What I am now thinking about and asking is when you you give it another try? When would you taxi off the runway before the tires deflate? Would the fire crews attending a brake fire and staying onboard not be preferable to ecacuating when you have a brake fire? and the rest of the questions above