PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat rate expenses for commercial pilots (UK)
Old 13th Mar 2019, 09:04
DuctOvht

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by champair79

We’d be so lucky. By all accounts HMRC are trying to get it removed or vastly reduced as they don’t believe the average pilot claiming it uses the whole amount for sustinence downroute. In other words, they think we’re getting a generous tax free element on top of the personal allowance.

I don’t know who you work for Satoshi but I work for the largest airline at LHR. HMRC are regularly asking for a 1% sample of pilots to send in receipts for the previous month to see if the FREA is in the right ballpark. Of course, many colleagues have misplaced receipts are don’t bother sending them in. HMRC seem to know this so I think it’s highly likely it’ll be amended soon (and not in a good way).

champ
He’s asking about something different. FREA is added to your tax code and covers things like laptops, dry cleaning, flight bags and so on. It has been in place for years and probably could do with updating, assuming it hasn’t already been.