PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the Rejected Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2001, 22:18
GlueBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

RTOs come in different packages. Runway Length, Wet/Dry pavement, Airport elevation, Airplane Gross Weight,... are all factors affecting technique. Assuming Max Gross Take Off Weight: If I had a V1 cut on Rwy 13R (14,572') at JFK I wouldn't have to stand on the brakes and risk a brake fire. But if I were on Rwy 13R (12,467') at Santa Fe De Bogota (Elev 8355') a V1 cut would be a most violent maneuver with probable multiple tire failures, directional control problems and wheels glowing cherry red. Under the latter scenario I wouldn't be concerned about "facing into the wind" nor would I be dabbling with lengthy "evacuation/shutdown checklists." Because I already know that there will be a brake fire, I would give the evacuation signal for all non everwing exits, order the fire handles pulled and then get out the door if the slide inflates, or via the inertia reels. There would be no need for me nor for any other crewmember to waste precious seconds to assess, to deliberate or to second guess the situation at hand.