PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed -BBC
Old 13th Mar 2019, 04:27
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously people spend a significant amount of time in their homes, meaning that a very low risk will still amount to lots of deaths.
The other issue is that most people who die falling out of bed were very elderly and frail, already approaching the end of their lives. They're often too frail to go outside and die of something more daring.

When I worked in the home counties I used to observe that the three most dangerous hobbies were mountain biking, trampolining and going to church. A very high proportion of the patients I saw had been injured at church - as you get older you gradually stop driving, then shopping, then you become housebound other than (for many)... going to church. So if you fall over and break something it will either happen at home or church. Churches have steep steps and stone floors.

I once tried to guesstimate how dangerous airshows were compared to driving to airshows and was surprised that despite the rarity of accidents within the UK, my guesstimates were not as much in favour of airshow safety as I expected. Realistically I think most future airshows will end up being over barren heaths or coastlines and I'm not sure that's such a bad thing, so long as they continue.

Last edited by abgd; 13th Mar 2019 at 21:05.