PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightcell Mobile Phone Interface
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2003, 20:17
Aesir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used the "Safety cell" from Elite solutions inc for about 2 years now and I think its an excellent product.

I have used it while flying in lousy weather to call homebase or various locations to inquire about the weather and have therefore been able to continue flying in the best available weather conditions available because I had the option to call and get direct feedback on the actual weather.

As we helicopter pilots know, we do not fly so much between airports, rather between areas in almost middle of nowhere where you need to get information from the locals rather than the met bureau or ATC, which have no idea about the local wx conditions.

I say that a moblie phone and preferably a satellite phone interfaced to a helicopter intercom is a very important safety device in a working helicopter.

I do not agree with some here that feel that its a distraction to flying, its no more distraction than talking to ATC in my opinion. Expecially if the equipment is user friendly and works well like the "Safety cell" does for me.