PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the Rejected Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2001, 11:57
The Nr Fairy

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Bhing :

My understanding is that the reason for pointing the nose out of wind is in the event of an external fire - in theory the wind should blow flames and fumes away from the cabin.

Unless someone can point me to another accident which provided an impetus for this, I think the Manchester 737 fire you refer to, which killed 50 or so people, was a turning point. Most if not all the casualties were caused by inhalation of fumes, either from the engine itself or from the burning of cabin contents initiated by the flames from the engine which were blown over the cabin by the wind ( not directly burned ) - most if not all would have survived had the damaged engine been upwind and flames and smoke not penetrated the cabin. For those interested, the full report is to be found here.

I would query any logic about stopping in line with the centre line - is not the onus to ensure the passengers ( and you ) have the best chance of exit and therefore survival, not to make things easier for the arriving emergency crews ? The biggest contributory factor to a successful evacuation is more time, and more time without fumes in the cabin.

I'd welcome any numbers people have on the ratio of people overcome by fumes compared to those burned to death in similar accidents to support, or disprove, my point.

And a caveat - my knowledge of this specific area is taken from a non-professional pilot perspective, and gleaned from accident reports and other posts on PPRuNe.